Wednesday, February 5, 2014

End of Unit Reflection (A memory of Lizzie)

For this unit we were given a script which was based on true events, about a girl named Lizzie Borden who killed her parents Andrew Borden who was her father and Abby Durfee Grey who was her stepmother with an Axe.
The opening of the script begins with little children singing to oranges and lemons which is a very well known English Nursery rhythm. The main Protagonist of this story is Lizzie Borden and also a girl named Rachael Brayton. When I read the script for the first time I was a bit confused about the transition of the play, from the playground to the murder of her parents. But we read the script couple of times and I was able to visualize how each scene would look like in the play. After we read it in class we were told to make rough sketches of Set designs and thumbnail sketches of costumes for the characters of the play. I made five different set designs for different places such as the Auditorium, the secondary well and the school Gym. the designs that I made were pretty simple and straightforward mostly because I was told to utilize the equipments that were available at the school instead of having to remake or even make a scene for the play. I used pillows for the murder scene. a single tree where they played funeral which was part of the play and finally a piece of black block for the characters to come and say their lines. As for the rest of the stage it was a playground since most of the scene is on the playground.
After we did the rough set designs we were told to make thumbnail sketches of the costumes. and I did them. For the main protagonist I thought about making her dress plain like her characteristic. Most of the thumbnail sketches that I drew matched the personality of that person ( from what I read and the information I got from the script) Soon after we had to annotate the script and I did. I wrote all the stage direction and body language as instructed ( I was confused so I asked my teacher) and then I uploaded them on the blog.
After that I we had to work on a particular scene in the play which was the cat killing scene where Lizzie kills the cat. I paired up with Hamza and Ryan and we discussed each others Ideas and agreed on some of them.
Later we were told to choose either set design or costume design and then research for more information and then produce a final product with details. I decided to go with costume designs and I had to research on dresses that people used to wearing during that time. I got the the time a bit wrong and it was 1890s and not 1880s so that wasn't a good thing. As a result I had to produce fourteen different costume designs for each of the characters and then I had to color and Annotate the drawings. I was also told to add swatches but not many of us did it so we had to option to had pictures from the internet and I did do it.
In this overall unit I think my strongest had to be my set and my final costume designs. also my script annotation was very much detailed. My weakest had to be that I researched but the wrong period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment